Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I was just reflecting on a passage from Scripture because I have a bone deep weariness.

     "11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account." Hebrew 4:11-13.

As I find my self more and more consumed with the cares of this world, the less and less joy I seem to have.  I was at a NAMB event over this last weekend and we were told that we needed to prepare a short sermonette, about 8 minutes.  My Bible time and my time with God lately has been like a desert but the sermon.  
There was joy, my heart seemed to sing out to God and the beauty of His word sung to me.  For the last several years all I have had the opportunity to delivery has been funeral sermons.  I do realize the importance and can be important evangelism tools but preaching Gods word, that different.  When I preached those 8 minutes it felt like it was "right", that's the best way to explain it. 
The weariness lifted, it seemed as if I had walked out of the desert from which I had put myself.  Its funny how we do this, I work a bunch of "ministry" jobs that barely pay, have incredibly odd hours, very high demands and seem to be hurting my family.  I have made the excuses for the longer time in between family devotions and my devotions with my wife.  My own spiritual life is in the tank; it would seem from doing the very ministry that I should be working harder on my own spiritual life for.
God is good, in one days study for an 8 minute sermonette He corrected me with His love, wow!

No comments: