Sunday, August 14, 2016

The current state of affiars of the Winn's family circus!

Hello and welcome to the mighty few who are reading this, may this find you better then when we may have last spoken. 
As the point of all blogs, I will just start by talking about me, because why else would you be reading this...
My current employment/vocation:
  1. I am working part time as a hospice chaplain for Fremont Homecare and Hospice, in of course Fremont Nebraska.  The job is good, it has great benefits and the pay would fantastic if I got more than 20 maybe 25 hours a week. I love the fact that I get to help those who are so often so lost and lonely. I have felt it one of the greatest privilege next to being a witness for Christ is being with someone as they die. Though its not always spiritually lost, American nursing homes have turned into dumping grounds for our unwanted elderly (that's a diatribe for another time).
  2. I am working as a PRN chaplain at Bergan Mercy hospital, mostly overnight on-calls.  This can be rough because even though they have a sleep room, I can never sleep with a pager sitting around.  Every noise causes me to jerk awake and for 30.00 dollars for 15.5 hours its hard to dedicate the time for this job. Though the supervisor is great makes it hard to say no when she is so very nice.
  3. I am working as a PRN chaplain at Creighton University Medical Center, a level 1 trauma hospital that can really be a crazy place.  This is the job for an adrenaline junky, because it is absolute stillness then 100 miles an hour of human destruction.  This can be very rewarding and it can be heartbreaking within a heartbeat.
This is how the Lord our God is using me right at this moment. God has stretched my family and I this last two years and has pushed us past our limits. Sarah and I have grown closer in our walk and that is the best possible outcome that could happen, at least for us.  Sometimes being a dull piece of iron isn't always the funnest thing to be when the times of learning happen but it is what I seem to be best at.

Finally, Sarah, the children and I are currently in the process of going through the discernment process for church planting with NAMB.  A lot of personality tests, with some meeting and seminars, all to see if we are self starters and have the right personality to have an effective church plant.  Why would you say that I would put my family and myself through this, well let me tell you.  I first and foremost would not be doing this unless Sarah and I did not feel we were being lead this way.
Sarah and I have had a heart for military families since we came to know Christ.  Our hearts have been getting heavier and heavier as we see and hear what is going on with these men and women.  Then one day while attempting to get my endorsement stuff done for the umpteenth time with NAMB, I was lead to military church planting, asking are you a chaplain, do you have a heart for our military and BAMM! God got me again....More to come!

No comments: